RSV&Public

As a mother and a full time grandmother, it’s important to me to not only keep my family healthy, but I want to do all I can to help keep your family healthy as well. After all, my grands are around some of your kids, your grand kids, our mutual friends, family and/or whatever else the case may be. During my nursing career I spent hours daily educating our patients on preventive health measures. One of things I stressed over and over was hand washing. Lack of hand washing is the main reason we did not store toys in our waiting rooms. I wish they weren’t provided in any public setting and when I see pediatrician offices that have toys in them, I cringe. My grand kids might think I’m mean but I won’t let them play with toys at their doctor’s office. You’d be amazed at how often people don’t wash their hands or their kids hands. Our hands touch everything; coins, door knobs, handshakes, I’ve been known to use a pen from a cashier or two during my shopping trips, we go to the doctors office and pick up magazines that someone has coughed all over, we stay in a motel and automatically reach for the remote control, we pick up books at the library, keyboards, phones, etc… we don’t know who has touched these items and what kind of germs they are carrying. There are germs everywhere and we need to wash our hands. We also need to be more concerned with washing kids hands. Kids put everything into their mouths. I’ve seen moms pick up pacifiers or bottles in the doctors office that have fallen on the ground. It’s so unsanitary. I don’t care about the 10 second rule, if it falls on the floor it’s contaminated in my opinion.

RSV Awareness

Hand washing is one of the simple ways we all can help prevent MedImmune RSV. It’s true that not everyone is always around soap and water. HAND-SANITIZER! Hand-sanitizer is one of the best inventions of our time. It kills more germs than soap and water and you don’t need anything other than the product to use it. Pour a dollop in your hand and rub it in. Every time you do that reduces your risk of getting an illness that you could spread to your children and family. Teaching your children to follow sanitary measures decreases the risk of them and their friends from receiving and spreading illness as well. Don’t just wash your hands or use hand-sanitizer, SPREAD THE WORD! I don’t know about you but I would much rather spread awareness than I would to spread RSV.

RSV Infographic

I’ve talked about one of the ways you can help prevent RSV and I want to share a little information on RSV. RSV is a respiratory syncytial virus that affects 2/3 of all infants by 1 year of age and almost 100% by the time kids reach 2. Needless to say it’s highly contagious which is why it affects almost all kids. RSV is one of those evil little germs that can not be treated. Preemies are very susceptible to getting RSV along with kids in childcare and in school settings. It’s usually at high risk between November and March so you need to be aware of it and know the signs and symptoms. We are in the smack dab in the middle of RSV season. Along with hand washing and using hand sanitizer, be sure to keep your kids toys clean. If you go out to a restaurant, clean the high chair yourself before letting your child use it. Use good judgement by keeping your kids clothes, blankets and bedding clean. If they’ve worn it, hugged it, laid on it, it’s probably contaminated. Also, try to keep your children away from crowds and those who are ill. One of the worst places you can take a child in my opinion, is to the hospital to see someone who is ill.

Be sure to visit rsvprotection.com for preventive treatment tips, signs, symptoms and more information about this respiratory syncytial virus. You can also follow #RSVProtection on Twitter for more information.

…clean hands save lives…

Disclosure:
“Brought to you by Terri’s Little Haven, Product Reviews Blog and Mom Central Consulting on behalf of MedImmune. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
About Terri's Little Haven, Product Reviews Blog

Terri's Little Haven is a PR Friendly, Family Friendly, Product Reviews Blog owned by since 2007.

Comments

1. Cassie Korando says:

I’ve never heard of this illness before, but I don’t have children yet either. I wash my hands frequently and plan to pass that habit to my children when I have them.

2. I’d thought that RSV almost always affects just preemies, thank you for clearing it up! People tend to assume that hand sanitizer replaces handwashing…it doesn’t. In fact, it is pretty ineffective on a lot of viruses, and you should still wash well as soon as you are able.

3. Paula Feldman says:

I use more hand soap than anything else in my house. I am a freak about washing my hands.

4. zuzubailey says:

Awesome post, everyone, I mean everyone should take time to read every word of this. I was in disbelief a couple of weeks ago when I went to my PCP and they didn’t even have masks or separate areas for all the people in there sick, hacking everywhere!! I don’t think there are enough people taking this and the flu serious enough.

5. jilldonahoo2 says:

It was great seeing all the info I didn’t know. There really should be more awareness put out there on this “medical” topic!

6. Melissa R. says:

Great post. We were always so careful with my son when he was first born. I never could understand parents who took the newborns out in public places just days after being born. Now that my son is older we are constantly having to tell him to wash his hands. Unfortunately due to a learning disability he has a hard time retaining things and constantly forgets. It’s an uphill battle but his health is worth it.

7. Heather Bridson says:

I’ve always thought people are crazy to take their days old and week old babies to the grocery store and out and about. Really, its not safe at that age. I’m a nurse and I’ve taken care of infants with RSV. Its a scary illness. I have also had to get a baby with RSV on a helicopter to a children’s hospital for more specialized treatment. Just be careful about having your babies around people, wipe down carts with those disinfectant wipes and keep your hands clean!

8. asheso says:

this stuff is really scarey, the more info the better! thanks for passing it along!

9. asheso says:

thanks I will pass this along! Great tips!

10. Anita Leibert says:

You have provided some very useful information, as I was not aware of RSV and young children. I think it’s extremely important to teach children at a young age about the importance of cleanliness and germs. Thank you :)

11. Vikki says:

I agree with you, that washing our hands is important, and I wash mine extra times, when I am around people who aren’t washing theirs. They touch everything and then my hands are in contact with their germs.

12. Kathleen says:

It can NOT be said enough; WASH your hands OFTEN!! This is a VERY informative post. Thank you for the info.

13. Thank you for the information; my niece just had a baby last Thursday and he’s home now so I will advise her to come to this review and read and go to the other sites listed in the article :)

14. courtney hennagir says:

my son thinks i am crazy but i have him wash his hands constantly. i always have hand sanitizer on me too. i have a newborn daughter and have really upped hand washing for everyone in our house and also offer sanitizer for anyone who wants to hold baby girl.good info!

15. Becky Bryant says:

Thanks for the info on this disease. I was somewhat aware of it but you filled in the blanks. My kids are all grown up now and my grandkids aren’t little anymore, but I will remember this info when the great grandkids come along. Thanks

16. it is very important to wash hands

17. sherri k says:

This is a very dangerous disease for babies, make sure you protect them.

18. Vicki W says:

great info, i definately learned a few things

19. I am a washing hands fanatic! I’m real funny when it comes to germs. I don’t shake hands and sometimes it causes a problem but I can’t help it!

20. misty farmer says:

Thanks for all the great info, for sure have to share it with my sister!!

21. Sandy McFadden says:

This is some great information on RSV I have heard of families who have had to deal with this and my heart goes out to them thank you for the information

22. brandi hawn says:

thank you so much for this article, i have a new baby boy and had never heard of this before :)

23. Mary Ann Knox says:

This is why I always made sure to have extra pacifiers when my daughter was a baby. I constantly washed my hands, sanitized all her items, and even carried hand sanitizer as part of my diaper bag supplies.

24. Sacha Schroeder says:

What good information! Especially for new parents. Thanks you!