D.I.Y.OilLamp

This may surprise you but there are many uses for coconut oil besides the obvious that it’s suppose to be the healthiest oil to cook with. In case you missed my DIY salt scrub post please check it out at your earliest convenience. It’s amazing for those dry cracked heels, elbows, knees as well as for your face, to slough off dead skin. I even shave my legs with Dr. Mercola coconut oil! It’s one of the best “beauty” products you can buy.

Today I want to share another tip with you that you can do with your Dr. Mercola coconut oil. If your electricity ever goes out during a storm and you don’t have candles on hand, let me suggest making a DIY oil lamp. I highly recommend Dr. Mercola coconut oil but if you only have olive oil on hand (that’s another light, clean, burning oil) then you could use it as a substitute. This would only be in an emergency situation such as running out of Dr. Mercola coconut oil, or, while you are waiting for your coconut oil to arrive ;). Handmade oil lamps are so easy to make, you will want to make one or two for every room.

Product Reviews Blog

What you will need:
16 oz jar (or more depending on how many oil lamps you intend to make) of Dr. Mercola Fresh Shores Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
Tap Water.
Fire proof jar; a suggestion would be a canning jar like mason or ball.
Wick (you can make your own out of tightly woven cotton tea towels or even socks, there are lots of tutorials online for this).
Lid with a hole punched in the middle or a paperclip to slide over the side of your jar to hold in place (I’ve seen tutorials for this online), wrapped around the wick in the middle of the jar.

I am a jar person, I get that from my mom who has every “blue” jar that was ever made, I believe. When I find jars at yard sales of thrift stores I’m a happy camper. There are so many uses for jars if you have the room to store them. The jar I’m going to use is one that is made especially for an oil lamp.

I filled my desired jar up about 3/4 full of water. I had to get the oil to oil form by sticking in in the microwave for a minute. I then poured about 1/2 cup on top of the water (must be on top) because water won’t light lol. The water will keep the wick from burning down to the bottom which I don’t want. It would be too hard to clean smudges out of this jar lol. It’s really one of my favorite finds. Lastly, I added a few drops of Bergamot essential oil to make this smell wonderful (but let me also suggest cinnamon oil which I’m currently out of). I then put the wick in and let the oil on top soak the wick to the top. I lit it to make sure it will burn light and then put it up in a warm cabinet until needed. If I have a problem with my oil condensing I will just wrap my handmade oil lamps in a heating pad at the first sign of a storm. I’m sure there are battery operated devices you could use as well.

Product Reviews Blog

The next time you have a storm brewing, make up a few DIY, Dr. Mercola, coconut oil, oil lamps and be prepared.

If you have any creative uses for Dr. Mercola coconut oil, I’d love for you to share them.

Product Reviews Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
About Terri's Little Haven, Product Reviews Blog

Terri's Little Haven is a PR Friendly, Family Friendly, Product Reviews Blog owned by since 2007.

Comments

1. Rhonda W G. says:

Thanks for the lesson…I’m new to coconut oil.

2. Mary Fagans says:

Hmmm, who would ever figure coconut oil had so many uses!! Thanks for sharing.

3. Wow! such a simple thing to do. Great review.

4. Sylvia Ortiz says:

Thank you for this very creative and useful DIY. With all the bad weather we’ve been experiencing lately, these would be great to have on hand for an emergency. Appreciate the share!

5. Lisa Brown says:

Love those lamps, and love coconut oil. Great idea, thank you!

6. Teresa Westt says:

Love the homemade oil lamps! Learned a lot and appreciate it! Thanks!

7. Wow this is interesting Extra Virgin Coconut Oil will burn. Thank you. Jerri Davis

8. Amanda Greene-Lebeck says:

That is awesome, first of all; I did not know that coconut oil was the healthiest to cook with. Second of all I am so thrilled by the fact that I can make these homemade oil lamps in a pinch. Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the time it took for this blog:)

9. Sue Hull says:

Awesome review Terri! I didn’t know any of this so thank you. I love oil burning lamps. I don’t have any but I think I’m going to make a couple. Have a great day! :)

10. Catherine S says:

It’s great what can be achieved with materials that are perfectly natural.

11. Cindy Merrill says:

We have seven oil lamps in our cabin- but this is a great idea- never heard of doing these yourself.

12. sam dock says:

This is brilliant-and so simple! I will have to rig one of these up and set it aside for when we lose power during storms.

13. I did not realize it would even be used in that way & it’s a light, clean burning oil.

14. Holly Thomas says:

That is such a great idea!!

15. Tammy S says:

I will have to send this link to my sister. She love doing projects like this and she is always telling me how coconut oil is so good for you.

16. Jennifer Mae Hiles says:

That is so cool! I had no idea you could do that with coconut oil. I had to pin it so I can try to replicate! Thanks.

17. Rich Hicks says:

would like to try and do this. They are nice looking too. Ok to leave on coffee table.

18. Elizabeth Kasson says:

This would be a lifesaver during a storm!

19. denise smith says:

very cool my daughter would love for me and her to do this together

20. Great idea. We live in an area that gets hit with tropical storms. Seems like that’s when the flashlight battery dies.

21. Karen Glatt says:

How amazing! I did not know that I can make lamps with coconut oil. I would like to make these and put them in my house! Very nice look. I would rather use coconut oil!

22. Tina Seagraves says:

WOW good to know.. I love coconut oild..

23. Jill A. Collins says:

I';ve never thought of coconut oil for this use. I’m allergic to cocnut, so I don’t have a whole lot of this around, but it is a great idea !

24. Tammy Warnick says:

I’ve never heard of this….very interesting..i’m gonna try this !! Thank you

25. Anika Hughes says:

I’ve never heard of a coconut oil lamp. This is a great idea. I do like coconut oil and I like candles. Thanks for posting this.

26. Tammy S says:

That so cool. I would never have thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

• You’re very welcome. I will be making quite a few of these come April. Around here April showers bring May flowers and no electricity lol. It seems to go out at the first sign of rain. Country life I tell you.

27. JJ Caraway says:

Thanks , I have never used coconut oil but will definitely be getting some.

28. Rebecca G says:

My only issues with coconut oil are the taste and the smell, and cost so we don’t use it. However the scrub looked wonderful, probably due to the orange.
    My son recently asked if there was an alternative to kerosene lamp oil. We have a lamp that I need oil for anyway, which he is dying to see lit. I wonder if my one old bottle of coco oil would burn in that??
    Also, many cultures use olive oil still for lamps and lampadas-which oz for oz is more accessible than coconut oil. I can get gallons at Sam’s or Costco-neither of which carries coconut oil.

• I have used Olive Oil in the past when I needed an emergency light and it worked . I’m sure any cooking oil would work but I prefer the lighter burning oils because I don’t want soot in the house.

29. Grandma Bonnie says:

Wow, I had not thought of using coconut oil for an oil lamp. I have got some on hand so I am off to try this and see if I like how it burns.