If you currently work from home, chances are that you’re missing out on a few essentials that have become cornerstones of productive solopreneurs.
Although not every remote worker is created equal, this list is prime for the following professionals:
- Freelancers who’ve perhaps never worked from home long-term before
- Growth hackers and marketers really looking to buckle down and start dominating their niche
- Stay-at-home mompreneurs and parents looking to start up their side-gig
Now, we understand the need for a sleek home office; however, consider the following essentials beyond aesthetics that you may be overlooking if you truly want to supercharge your productivity.
“Smart” solutions are all-the-rage right now and likewise can potentially transform the way that you work from home. Voice-recognition smart speakers (like Amazon Echo) can help play tunes to keep you focused without having to deal with apps or a complicated speaker setup. Similarly, you can install a voice-activated thermostat using similar technology to keep you comfortable and working at the right temperature.
While some might see such investments as novelties, these subtle additions to your home office should serve to give you an extra layer of flexibility and comfort while you’re on the grind.
Today’s remote workers need some serious digital tools on deck if they want to stay on task. Doing so is easier said than done if you’re on a tight budget; however, a combination of free solutions and smart updates will serve you well. For example:
- You need a reliable computer, but that doesn’t mean that you need to splurge (think: focus on something that can do the bare minimum for the price point and has long battery life for days working away from home)
- Marketing tools that help you keep track of your performance (Google Analytics, Neil Patel’s SEO analyzer tool, and Hootsuite, for example)
- A desktop and dual-monitor display may be a wise investment if your job is writing or editing intensive (think: freelance writers and web developers)
Beat the spring cleaning craze and start decluttering your office now before it gets out of control. Ikea-style space saving solutions can help you make the most of your work environment if you find yourself in a tight space. From new shelves to décor that hides your clutter, such investments can be made on the cheap.
Surprisingly, old-school clocks are making a comeback in modern décor and can add a classic sense of flair to your workspace. Rather than constantly starting at the corner of your screen or checking your smartphone, a good, old-fashioned wall clock may give your space a sense of elegance and keep you on task.
Plants and Herbs
Finally, don’t let yourself sit in a literally lifeless space. There are tons of low maintenance office plants out there that can both give your office some color and keep it smelling wonderful. Whether you opt for a full-blown flower arrangement or some simple herbs, keep in mind whether or not your space has the appropriate lighting to keep your plants alive.
Working from home doesn’t mean that you have to be distracted or feel dismal in your space. Rather than letting your home office fall to the wayside, think about the small tweaks you can make to create a more productive environment.